Friday, April 18, 2008

Guy Stuff And My New SPCA....

Last Saturday I arrived home from a 16-hour bus ride from the city of Chimoio in the north (of me) where I was attending a weeklong, all-male conference (JOMA) on communication with two of my theatre group students and a professor. They were learning better theatre techniques, while also discussing healthy masculinity, leadership and community change. I was lucky enough to manage a daily reflection group of students to discuss various topics, problems and feelings encountered at the conference and was really blown away by these kids. Hearing their stories was heartbreaking, but then listening to their perspective on everything and their desire to breakout of this hand that life had dealt them was inspiring. One kid in a group came out as being HIV positive which, given the stigma, is HUGE to do amongst your peers and especially so as a teenager. These kids talked about the problems in their families and communities but not once did anyone mention leaving Mozambique. The common theme was working hard in school and building their communities from within. As a person who fled his conservative home state for the liberal comforts of California, I have to say I was a bit emboldened by their courage and dedication. It gave me that 2nd wind (or 3rd…I forget which one I’m on now) and made me realize that this country will continue to change dramatically as soon as time passes and this new generation has time to show us what they can do.

Anyways, after my 16-hour bus ride, I arrive home to find that my neighbor has recently acquired a puppy…Leon. Chissy was curious about the new addition and was generally open to the idea till the little bugger jump up between her legs and bit her right in the vagina. Scared that damn girl so bad she leapt in the air and ran 20 feet. That unfortunate incident aside, the two seem to be playing well together. Leon is a fighter and a little too big for his britches, but Chissy is establishing the obvious…that she is the bigger dog.

Two dogs and four cats later, I have yet to get a damn animal that produces food rather than just consumes it.

ZS

No comments: