Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dona Gina

So when I arrived back from Maputo I was told that Dona Gina was sick. You remember that Dona Gina was the lovely widow who cooked me my first meals at site and with whom I have been trading recipes and baked goods ever since. She has been the most welcoming and comforting person to me thus far at site and always makes me laugh. Well I found out this week that she was indeed not sick, but had just arrived back from the Provencal hospital and was recovering from being attacked by bandits at her house. Apparently she was taking a bano (bath) when someone came up behind her and took a machete to her head and then stole items from her loja (store). When I found this out I was horrified. Of course I did what any good southerner does when confronted with tragedy…I cooked. I brought her over some meals and checked to see if she was feeling better. Thankfully she was and we both prayed and thanked God that she was alive and not permanently injured. What is even more troubling is that she saw and knew who the attacker was and he broke into her loja again a week later to try and steal more stuff. The police apprehended the man, but then for some reason they left the cell open and he escaped! I was shocked when she told me this, not only because of the incompetence of the duty officer, but also for the danger that this puts back on her. But the overall thing to remember is that she is OK and recovering well. Keep her in your prayers and hopefully she will be back to work soon. A new, bigger loja just opened up right around the corner from her and the owner has a connection in Maputo and is able to beat her prices. She is losing customers so I am going to sit down with her and look at another business model to see if she can’t find another niche in the community.

I live in a relatively well-lit and populated area so I don’t feel anymore in danger because of this, but have been more aware of my surroundings lately. Months ago, upon request, dad sent me an awesome hunting knife which I keep right by my bed, giving me a GREAT sense of false security…lol. But it helps me sleep at night, dreaming of the intruder that breaks into the house, to which I can go all Chuck Norris on his ass.

xoxo

Z

No comments: