Monday, February 11, 2008

New Puppy...

Last week, at 8 o'clock at night, my neighbor showed up unexpectedly with a 3 week old puppy in a cardboard box and gave it to me. Immediately upon exiting the box, it peed on me. I named him Pecker.

Two days later, upon a more careful expection, I realized that Pecker's pecker wasn't a pecker at all (I, of all people, am not the expert on such matters). So now her name is Chissy. Despite being too young to have been weaned from her mother, she is doing great and I am fattening her up with lots of fresh cow's milk from the Xai Xai market and some xima that I cook myself. When I got her, she was covered in fleas and they had chewed about 15 patches into her skin. Thankfully I had already bought a great flea shampoo in Maputo and as of today she is flea free and her skin is healing nicely.

I will have pictures soon but wanted to announce the new addition. She is absolutely precious and I can tell she is smart as a whip. I told the Mozambicans that I planned to train her to use the bathroom outside and do tricks. I might as well have said that I planned to teach an iron skillet how to do long division.

Yet another fun experience.

No comments: