Saturday, October 6, 2007

Stop Blessing the Rain Down in Africa!!!

Hey Kids,


So we took a day trip to Maputo to buy some extra supplies and to check our internet. The trip took an hour on a Chupa, which is basically a 10 person van that has 30 people shoved into it. It cost me 20 Metacais one way which is less than a dollar. An hour in an Internet cafe costs 2 dollars. So in a month when I an travel on my own, it will be easier and inexpensive to update everyone.

The days of pre-training in Maputo were pretty posh compared to the village we are in right now. As we are on the bus headed to Mafuiane, they told us that because it had rained, the bus could not get through the streets, so we would have to walk. Oh sweet heaven was it muddy! Our moms were already waiting for us. Momma Florencia yelled out "Zacheria" and when I looked up, came over and gave me hugs and kisses. She is a delightful young woman, only 28 years in age. Papa Augusto is 30 and both a farmer and contract brick layer. I have 3 younger sibling; Padmiera is 7, Anna is 4, and Leno is 1. They are beyond precious and I play games with them every day, which is exhausting. And yes, I have taken pictures and will send them out in the months to come.

I take a bucket bath each morning when I wake up and each evening before dinner. We have chickens, goats, and pigs running around. Once you get over the fact that you will NEVER be as clean as you were in an American shower, you get comfortable VERY quick. The toilet is also outside on the other side of the wall from the shower. I experienced what can only be described as the Mozambican Slide the first 2 days I was in Mafuiane. Thankfully my system has acclimated.

My host family loved the gifts i brought them, but I will keep an eye out for more toys that I can bring to the children. I am keeping both a written and a video journal of my first impressions and experience. They will help supplement this blog.

Overall, I cannot convey how much fun I am having. This is such a different world. There is much to learn on both sides of the fence. I will promise to update more.

Much love and remember...

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

ZS

3 comments:

Betsy said...

oh to be a new volunteer again! I´m glad you´re embracing this with all of the gusto I knew you´d exude! I mean... you will be a great volunteer, but I must admit that I´m bummed we didn´t get it together and get married before we started on these adventures. Maybe we can just do that later in life? What are you doing around age 65?

Deano said...

Bro... I am living vicariously through you and this experience. I know you are gonna be the most popular white boy in the village. Glad to hear the stomach has settled in as has the dirt in your pores. Who knows, maybe you will come back with a little color, haha. Know I am praying for ya bro.

Chuck Archie said...

You've been on my mind lately so I thought I'd check out any updates on your blog. It was great seeing you at Pride and you looked happy and ready for this new chapter in life. It was fun reading about your daily sponge baths and the family you're staying with. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you soon. xoxo, chuck