Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dirty Kitty...

During training the volunteers made a game of declaring what would have to happen for you to voluntarily call it quits; canceling your service and running back to America to stay.

For some, it was contracting Malaria. For others it was a somber prospect like the death of a loved one, cancer or other medical malady. For me, there was only one thing that would spell disaster enough for me to take as an omen from God and leave Peace Corps early; falling into a latrine.

We all heard stories of volunteers who had fallen into badly constructed latrines only to be rescued several hours later, pulled from a collection of piss, shit and maggots the likes of which few can imagine. The sheer idea of coming into contact with that mess gave me the heebie-jeebies enough to vow that that would be my breaking point.

That being said, the last two months I have been keeping track of my cat’s newest litter of 3 kittens as well as my dog’s new 8 puppies. Yes, I had 13 animals running around my house, making it resemble an SPCA to a much larger degree than I was comfortable. The kittens were giving me the most trouble as they were older than the puppies and spent most of their time playing and sprinting across the house and yard. As cute as they are, I’m still not convinced that I’m a cat person.

So one night just before turning in, another volunteer who was staying with me went outside to go use the bathroom. It was only a moment later that she poked her head inside the house to call for me saying only, “I think we might have a problem.”

It turns out that one of the kittens had indeed fallen into my latrine and was definitely alive and whining to get out. Faced with a version of my greatest fear in Peace Corps, I have to admit that the idea of just leaving it down there crossed my mind. Eventually it wasn’t my humanity or love of animals that led me to decide to get it out, but rather the lack of suitable alternatives.

So, with the help of my neighbor we jerry-rigged a basket out of a stick and trigs. Thankfully it was a kitten down there which was suited for clinging to objects. If it had been one of the puppies, I don’t know what we would have done. Eventually we got her to cling on to the basket and we pulled her up. Now we have a shit-covered kitty and it clearly falls on me to be the one to bathe her.

So, four baths later that same night the kitten was able to rejoin her siblings, this time a little wetter and wiser, but not nearly as putrid as she had been an hour earlier. I still stand by my vow to call it quits if anything like that was to happen to me directly, but it’s nice to know that I can at least witness it without tapping the mat.

I just don’t understand why these things always seem to happen to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is a great (although pretty gross) story... good on ya for suffering through the 4 baths, that can't have been easy!