Saturday, November 24, 2007

Guess who has his home fo the next 2 years...

Hey Kids,

This was a good week. We finally got our mail after almost a month. Normally it takes packages about 2 1/2 weeks to arrive in country and then some time to get in our hands, but there was a slight mix up with Peace Cops and every one's mail was delayed. A hearty thanks to Mom and David for their package of copies of The Economist (badly needed intellectual reading material) and the converter and studying aides. Also a big thanks to Dad and Dee for their over indulgent gift package that has basically isolated me from the rest of the volunteers out of sheer envy....hehe. Can we say Lobster Pate? Craziness.

Also, we received our site placements this week. It looks like PC is sending me to a semi-rural area working for a community based organization that is in need of some structural support and new ideas. The organization is AREPACHO, and they work with orphans, agriculture, and income generating projects, plus I get to work in the field...all of which I requested. This is also a new site, so Peace Corps has not sent a volunteer here before. They are located in the community of Choguene, just north of Xai Xai in the Provence of Gaza. Basically I am about a 4 hour Chapa ride from Maputo. I am looking at a picture of my house and it is super cute, although my bathroom is still in the process of being constructed. They are even building a veranda for me! PLUS, I have....(wait for it)....electricity! Well, at least that is what they tell me. I will have to assess everything once I get to site. From what I can tell, it is a cute little house and perfect for a person living alone. I will be sure and take plenty of pictures once I get to site.

As it stands right now, I am hoping to get to site and have everything up to PC Safety Code by Christmas. Then, if the stars are aligned, I will take a 7 hour Chapa ride up the coast to Vilankulo, to house sit for one of my favorite volunteers, Lily. The house is supposed to be great and her dog needs a care-taker while she and her roommate are away for the holidays. Plus since this is the first Christmas that I will be alone, I wanted to do something special. Snorkeling with manta rays and and resting on the beach sounds pretty good, right?

This past Thanksgiving alone was a little tougher than I thought, but I quickly recovered. We opted not to make a big deal about it, since anything we could put together would only make us miss our families more. So today, all the health trainees from my village have taken the trip to Maputo and we are eating lunch at a supposedly great Indian restaurant. This might be as close to turkey as I get....lol

I have to close for now, but thanks for keeping me updated on everything. Hopefully my cell phone will be arriving soon and I will be in closer contact with some of you.

Keepin it up,

ZS

No comments: